This creature is supposed to be a miniboss in one of my adventures with a dark horror theme. It's intended to be a hard encounter for four 3rd level pcs.
- Is this monster actually a CR 5 monster according to the guidelines for creating monsters as set by WoTC?
- Is the statblock generally consistent?
- Is there information that is missing that needs to be included?
- Are there contradictions that I'm missing?
- Is it overly similar to or a copy of an existing monster?
My thoughts so far:
- yes, it is a CR 5 monster. It might have relatively low hit points considering it's AC, (as compared to CR 5 monsters from this site, but it makes up for it with high damage output from it's lair action.
- I saw no inconsistencies upon my review of the statblock
- I can see no additional information needed
- I did not notice any contradictions
- I know of no monsters that are overly similar or the same
All of this is done with GPT-4, available to ChatGPT plus users
how much do you know about dnd 5e monster stablocks? after you answer that, make a plan to create a monster statblock template. consider formatting, including headers, tables, and any other formatting you think is relevant, as well as ALL of the information you need to include. then execute that plan
The AI generates a template after creating a plan. Having the AI create a plan beforehand results in higher quality answers.
Given this plan and template, create a monster stat block for a single monster encounter that is a hard level encounter for four 3rd level PCs.
The AI generates the stat block given here, provided as markdown file. Some mild formatting changes were made.
A stealthy and venomous creature that lurks in the darkest corners of the world.
Medium Monstrosity, Neutral Evil
Armor Class 15 Hit Points 68 (8d8+32) Speed 40 ft., climb 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 16 (+3) 18 (+4) 18 (+4) 10 (+0) 14 (+2) 8 (-1)
- Dex +6
- Con +6
- Stealth +8
- Perception +4
- Darkvision 60 ft.
- Passive Perception 14
Languages: Understands Common, but can't speak
Challenge: 5 (1,800 XP)
- Shadow Camouflage: The Venomous Shadowbeast has advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks made to hide in dim light or darkness.
- Poisonous Blood: When the Venomous Shadowbeast is hit by a melee attack, the attacker must make a DC 14 Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the attacker takes 7 (2d6) poison damage and is poisoned for 1 minute.
- Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 10 (2d6 + 3) piercing damage plus 7 (2d6) poison damage.
- Shadow Strike: Ranged Spell Attack: +6 to hit, range 60 ft., one target. Hit: 14 (4d6) necrotic damage.
- Retaliate: When the Venomous Shadowbeast takes damage from a creature within 5 feet of it, it can make a bite attack against that creature.
- Shadowy Grasp: The Venomous Shadowbeast causes tendrils of shadow to reach out from the darkness. Each creature within 10 feet of a point in darkness that the Venomous Shadowbeast can see must make a DC 14 Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 10 (3d6) necrotic damage and is restrained until the end of its next turn.