I enjoy casting spells in D&D, but spell slots have always felt big and important to me. Regardless of the build I make, I always feel some compulsion to save them for a more important and pivotal moment, or not pick more fun and interesting spells because there is the potential I will be found lacking in a pivotal moment.
In the spirit of fixing this so I stop hoarding slots, what is the largest amount of reusable spells one can have at the same time that do not require spell slots to cast?
- If an ability functions like a spell or offers a seemingly magical effect at will, it can be considered a "spell" for the purposes of this question
- If a spell specifies an amount per long rest, I would prefer it not being included unless it has 2 or more uses. If it's use count depends on one of the 2 modifiers we pick as our spellcasting scores for this, it can be included
- If a spell functions as the above but is instead per short rest, any amount of uses is acceptable
- If a leveled spell requires concentration and allows repeated use or direction of its continuous damaging / CC effects (such as Storm Sphere or Call Lightning) while you maintain concentration, this is also acceptable to include despite costing a slot
- If a leveled spell has a duration of 1 minute or longer and repeatedly / consistently increases Armor Class (Like Mage Armor), Saving Throws (Like Bless), assists in catching enemies with Spell Saves (Like Bane), grants the caster a useful ability (Like Far Step), or otherwise disables an enemy for its duration, it can be included despite costing a slot
- If a spell draws upon different ability scores for its spell saves or mechanics, a maximum of 2 distinct ability scores may be used at one time i.e. if we're building a character with high Charisma and Intelligence, a Cleric ability / spell that is not in some way altered to use Charisma / Intelligence would not count
- Your answer can be particular to a given level from 5 to 20 i.e. "At 5th level, the answer is ____ based on the following..."
- Effects like Warlock Invocations, which grant the effects of a spell ad infinum, such as Eldritch Sight or Fiendish Vigor count
- Ideally, this would only use official material and not Homebrew or Unearthed Arcana, however you may answer it with Unearthed Arcana material if it's specified it's from UA and is not from Archived Unearthed Arcana
- Ideally, a character would be semi-viable in a standard campaign, but answers that are just looking for the hypothetical maximum are also welcome
I'm trying to find a character build that could help me distance myself from my fear of not having backups for when I'm out of spell slots, so answers in the spirit of that would be the most helpful. The obvious answer is to play a weapon class of course, but I'd like to try a pure caster if possible.