What is the combo?
It using the 3.5 D&D rules.
The Infinite Wish Loop!
- Buy a Candle of Invocation for 8,400 gold.
- Summon an Efreeti using the Candle of Invocation, you get three Wishes.*
- Use the two first Wishes for whatever you like
- Use the last of the three to ask for a Candle of Invocation
Per Gate spell you going to have to have be caster level 5 or above to control the efreet
For AD&D 1st Edition the candle is 5,000 gp. However this sequence has a problem. Unlike the 3.5 Gate spell the AD&D gate spell does not place the summoned being under any type of compulsion.
I also found a combination that would work with AD&D 1st edition that involves two items:
- Use a Candle of Invocation to summon a efreet
- Use a charge from the Rod of Beguiling to make him your friend (no saving throw)
- Use your first wish
- Use your second wish to recharge the Rod
- Use your third wish to create a Candle of Invocation.
As long as you stay within the conditions of the Rod of Beguiling you should be able to gain infinite wishes.
I emailed Eliezer Yudkowsky, the author of HPMOR -- this was his response:
I didn't have three exact items in mind. The well-knownness of the Candle of Invocation hack using only one item dates to after Harry's time.
So I think that's going to be as good as we can get. Now let us give thanks to Eliezer for taking the time to respond to such a question! :)