I am currently running a campaign which is still in its early stages, and I plan to introduce a recurring villain. However, if the villain is always the main "big bad" behind every session and he gets away, it might be frustrating to the players.
So besides having each session to be focused on the recurring villain, what other ways can I have the PCs cross swords, butt heads and trade snarky insults at the villain without an outright fight (because if a fight breaks out, the characters are likely to lose), but not something that makes the player feels useless?
Some negative examples:
- Kidnap the PCs and have the villain give a gloating speech while the PCs are tied up
- Appears before the PCs while somehow invincible
- While flanked by bodyguards who are too high level for the PCs (perhaps the first meeting - gets old and de-powering if it is always such).
Some examples of what I am looking for:
- The villain calls the PC (but alas, it's fantasy, no callings. Maybe holograms?)
- Appears at a distance where the PCs can't reach
- Responsible for the plan but wasn't the one executing it