Ideally I am looking for RPGs that completely lack all randomization. No cards, no dice, no spinners. Hidden player knowledge is bad too, even that level of "random" is too random.
I'm looking for the RPG equivalent to Go or Chess.
Acceptable concessions: Should no games exist that are purely deterministic, here are the levels of randomness I will accept. These are in order, a game with only the last item is less desirable than one with only the first.
- Ignorable Randomness. The game features random shops or loot, random battles on travel or some other easily ignored randomness that can be replaced with non-randomized lists or just excluded.
- Pre-game Randomization. Rolling for character stats, but then using what was rolled for the rest of the game with no further randomization.
- Hidden Player Knowledge. For example, if the game has a stealth mechanism that allows the GM not to mark the location of the hidden enemy. Hidden Character Knowledge is always acceptable.
- One-Off Random Element. Perhaps the game has a single spell which hits on a coin flip.
- TBD - I may add additional acceptable levels of randomness if no games are found.