I am looking for a game system that will allow me to run a post-apocalyptic setting. I know there are plenty out there, but I'm having a hard time finding the one I want to play. I need a system that is gritty, fast, and simple.
What I'm looking for:
- Rules-light - I would like a system that can be read in its entirety in one sitting. A system that is more of a skeleton rather than a well-polished machine, and rewards are based off of good role playing rather than who kills the most things. In fact, if the entire core rules for play can be under 50 pages that would be best. This minimal rules excludes equipment and flavor detail.
- Non-heroic - Players should be mortal. Disease, hunger, blood loss, and bullets stop a person from being useful. Food, medicine, and shelter are scarce - this should be a big deal. I want some sort of foundation for dealing with such situations.
- Not d20 - I prefer systems that rely on one type of die (i.e. d6 or d10) and have target numbers. I would prefer the system of resolution to be based off of dice.
- A flexible and fluid combat system - I prefer playing without mats, or having to make precise distance measurements. Sketching out a situation for general understanding is acceptable.
- Modern setting without anything weird - Weapons, gear, vehicles, etc... would be things we could find in our current and modern era. If there are weird things (such as magic, zombies, and so forth) they should be easily ignored without detriment to the system.
Things that would be a bonus, and greatly appreciated would be a system for customizing gear (such as weapons), and character generation that makes each PC feel unique.
I'm looking to have the PCs working together as a team to survive, find higher ground, and care for one an other. Possibly even establish a new mecca of civilization that works outside the previous forms of society and government. My idea is to have a game where the PCs consist of close friends and family who have survived the initial chaos that would be the result of a global loss of fresh, potable water.
EDIT: A system that is specifically Post-Apocalyptic is not necessary. I am more interested in a system that will allow for the tone and style of play that I am looking for with minimal modifications. If what you are suggesting does not specifically fit with my criteria, please explain how it can be modified to work (either by experience of house rules, or direct links to published modifications).
Something with a narrativist set up that allows for an easy ruling for basically any action or idea that the players come up with is idea. An example of a system that comes very close to what I want is MiniSix, though I am looking for something with a slight bit more structure in regards to how to treat items and equipment, as well as a system for dealing with hunger/dehydration/disease/etc.