Before you close it for being about an MMO and this is not arqade, I am looking specifically for a system that can be used IN a MMO using its chat and roll systems. So effectively this is a "Play By Chat" game.
- The game in question is Star Wars: The Old Republic so it has to be able to handle The Force, Lightsabers, Blaster, and explosives (its an Imperial group that I am running this for but that shouldn't affect anything)
- I want something more than just two people roll and high number wins
- I want character skill to have relevance so I want some super basic character sheet, but I want character creation to be simple (since they already have their in-game characters)
- I want to ignore the In-game level/stats of the character but be able to support their In-game abilities if they choose to use them (EDIT: By this I mean, the system should not restrict to a small subset of available actions that will make it difficult for them to say they are doing something their character can do using the default mechanics of the game). In other words, in D&D you can't do something unless you have an ability/spell/feat that says you can do something.
- Ideally I would have them only roll one number. The engine in SW:TOR can roll any range of (I think) positive numbers or numbers of the format XdY (it outputs both the individual results as well as a sum)
- Player vs. Player interactions should be handled with the same mechanics as Player vs DM (Environment/NPC)
- There should not be a lot of bookkeeping as unlike a normal Play-by-chat game, the game is (in general) played in full-screen mode so anything not accessible in-game is difficult to get.
- The system should be easy to explain to new members (goes along with easy character creation)
- Advancement (as in gaining additional power) is not required and I think undesirable (but we could always ignore those rules of a system that has them).
- The system should be quick and be able to handle a lot of players (we don't have a lot of active players now but it shouldn't completely break down if we expand)
I looked at FAE and I think taking just the Approaches could work but, trying to do the -4 to +4 with one roll with the correct probabilities is confusing at best, difficult at worst. (Now that I realized that the system supports multiple dice, this is an option, using the d6-d6 method but I don't know which rules I should include since arguing over and keeping track of tapping aspects and fate points seems difficult)
EDIT 2: As to why we are using the chat of an MMO instead of a system designed for (as a response to @MrJinPengyou: This is for a role playing guild inside the game that meet through in-game role play. It seems odd to then take the connections from the game and then run them through something out of game in a separate environment. This concept of RPing in game is fairly common in the bigger MMOs but most of the time people just /roll and see who gets higher which ignores all character skill (a person is just as likely to slice that computer as they are to force lift that guy) or just forgo rolls all together (which leads to people god-gaming that they never miss and never get hit). I am trying to find a well developed system that is simple and easy to learn that will serve as a guideline for the role play instead of trying to come up with something myself.