2
\$\begingroup\$

According to the D&D 3.5E rules, can anyone confirm whether Armor of Fortification (light) item would correspond to light armor?

If so, which light armor...a chain shirt maybe? If not, is armor of fortification (light) some kind of magical enhancement you add to your current armor?

Sorry if I seem a bit confused, I didn't find anything about that in the 3.5E PHB.

While playing a Roll20 DnD game, my DM gave me this item as a reward. My human paladin currently wears full plate (armor type: heavy, AC bonus +8, max dex +1, check penalty -6). So, if my paladin chooses to equip an Armor of Fortification (light), will it have the same stats as a masterwork chain shirt (type: light armor, AC: +4, max dex bonus: +4, armor check penalty: -2+1=-1) + the 25% chance of negating crit damage and sneak attack damage?

Thanks!

\$\endgroup\$
5
\$\begingroup\$

Fortification is a magical enhancement.

This suit of armor or shield produces a magical force that protects vital areas of the wearer more effectively. When a critical hit or sneak attack is scored on the wearer, there is a chance that the critical hit or sneak attack is negated and damage is instead rolled normally.

Fortification Type  Chance for Normal Damage
Light               25%
Moderate            75%
Heavy               100%

The base armor could be any type. It needs to be magic armor, ie, have at least a +1 bonus.

In addition to an enhancement bonus, armor may have special abilities. Special abilities usually count as additional bonuses for determining the market value of an item, but do not improve AC. A suit of armor cannot have an effective bonus (enhancement plus special ability bonus equivalents) higher than +10. A suit of armor with a special ability must have at least a +1 enhancement bonus.

You'll need to ask your DM for more details on your specific armour.

\$\endgroup\$
  • \$\begingroup\$ Just like to add, in case his DM doesn't realize, Light Fortification = +1 Bonus, Moderate Fortification = +3 Bonus, and Heavy Fortification = +5 Bonus. \$\endgroup\$ – Ruut Oct 9 '14 at 0:59
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Ruut Yes, I left that column out, as I'm assuming the DM knows what he's doing, and it's not something the player needs to worry about. It only affects cost/availability, it doesn't give an actual AC bonus. \$\endgroup\$ – Adeptus Oct 9 '14 at 1:29
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I want to agree with you my good man. \$\endgroup\$ – Ruut Oct 9 '14 at 2:11
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @Ghengra Fortification doesn't affect armor check penalty, that stays the same as it was for the type of armor. The only effect Fortification has (other than costing more) is what's in my answer above. \$\endgroup\$ – Adeptus Oct 9 '14 at 22:49
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Yes OK, but that's independent of the Fortification. The armor also needs to have a + bonus as well as the Fortification... I'll add that to my answer... (something else to ask your DM) \$\endgroup\$ – Adeptus Oct 10 '14 at 1:40
2
\$\begingroup\$

It sounds like you or your DM may be a little confused as to what the (light) in that block of information means. The "light" corresponds to the level of Fortification, not the type of armor. Fortification can be placed on any masterwork suit of armor or shield. You could have +1 Chain Shirt of Light Fortification just as same as you could have +2 Chain Shirt of Heavy Fortification.

The level of Fortification is the percentage chance that the ability in question nullifies a critical hit or a sneak attack. "Light" has a 25% chance of negating critical damage or sneak attacks. "Moderate" has a 75% chance, and "Heavy" makes you immune to critical damage and sneak attacks.

\$\endgroup\$

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.