What steps does writing a RPG go though?
I'm talking work break down structure. and what happen.
For example in software, a workflow might be:
- Development is divided into a series of releases
- Each release has a number of features,
Each features is:
When all features are done, then a milestone often occurs,
- like a showcase to the clients,
- or a update being shipped.
I imagine some kind of work flow like: Development being broken up in to 4 stages
- Big picture
- get a general idea of what the RPG is about and how it will work.
- sketch out roughly most important systems like how skill checks work etc
- write out mechanics
- write out fluff
- getting someone else to check the content is good
- write out examples
- play testing
- contracting for Art
But this is just speculation. How does a RPG design team work in the real world?