This is my first attempt at creating a race using the DMG. Someone posing a Wolfwere question earlier and a member of my group loving wolves prompted my attempt. It's use would be in a standard 5E game with no other house rules. The goal is to create something that is playable with all the basic classes without conflict and will not overshadow other players playing traditional races. Just typing the mechanics, not the background or other flavor-
- Ability score increase: Dex +2.
- Age: Matures sooner than humans at age 10, but max life span of 50 years.
- Alignment: A pack mentality leads most to be lawful, doing what is needed for the pack. Depending on how they're formed, their morality runs from good through evil.
- Size: Regardless if on four legs or two, size is med. Human height falls under normal human ranges.
- Speed wolf form: 40 ft Speed human form: 30 ft
- Keen senses: Proficiency in Perception skill.
- Pack Tactics: Gain advantage on melee attack rolls against a creature if at least 1 ally is within 5 ft of the creature and the ally isn't incapacitated.
- Languages: You can speak, read and write common while in human form, and can read common and speak to wolves while in wolf form.
- Wolf Bite: While in wolf form only- Str based melee weapon attack with +4 to hit, reach 5 ft, one target. Hits with 2d4 + 2 piercing damage. If target is a creature, it must succeed on a DC 11 Str saving throw or be knocked prone.
- Strong form control: Wolfweres have advantage when targeted with Transmutation spells.
- Natural Armor: While in wolf form only- AC=11+Dex modifier, as long as no barding is worn. Can be replaced with unarmored defense.
- Change Form: Takes 1 action to change. If in combat, Wolfwere is at disadvantage until start of their next turn. All equipment transforms with Wolfweres. HP of wolf form is half that of human form to a min of 11. Any damage taken while in wolf form gets subtracted from max human HP unless reduced to 0. If reduced to or at 0 HP while in wolf form, human HP is also reduced to 0 and you can't change form until you have at least 1 HP. If reduced to 0 HP or die while in human form, you revert to wolf form. Only other way to be unwillingly reverted to wolf form is while in an antimagic field and is the only time gear isn't transformed with you, but instead falls to the ground next to you. Unless a class feature specifies otherwise, cannot cast spells while in wolf form.
- Subraces: There are 2 subraces of Wolfweres- Wizard Formed and Divinely Blessed.
- Ability score increase: Int +1
- Cantrip: You know one Cantrip of your choice from the wizard spell list. Int is your spell casting ability for it.
- Limited Bond: Choose 1 willing person. A bond forms with that person that allows telepathic communication between the 2 up to a range of 100 ft. Only 1 bond can exist at a time, a new bond will replace the old. It takes 1 hr to forge or dismiss the bond.
- Ability score increase: Wis +1
- Touched by the divine: At level 3, you can cast cure wounds as a second level spell once a day.
Please let me know if y'all are interested in me updating the race with any changes I make.