I need a script for AnyDice to generate some averages for me.
I want to know the average d6 roll for:
- 1 die of a pool of 1 (which I know approaches 3.5)
- highest 1 die of a pool of 2 dice
- highest 1 die of a pool of 3 dice on up to pool of 8 dice
Then I want to see the results for
- average sum of 2 highest dice of a pool of 2 (which I assume would be 7)
- average sum of 2 highest dice of a pool of 3
- average sum of 2 highest dice of a pool of 4 and on up to 8
Then 3 highest dice of a pool of 3 up on to 8.
Then 4 highest dice of a pool of 4 up on to 8.
I am considering a game mechanic where the character has an attribute like Intelligence with two parts (Raw Ability/Skill) where Raw Ability is the sum of a number of dice and Skill increases the pool rolled where you can pick the highest dice.
If your Intelligence was 2/4 you would roll 4 dice and sum the two highest.
With training your Intelligence would increase to 2/5 and you would sum the two highest out of a pool of 5. What I am trying to determine is how much of a bump is gained by adding that extra die to the pool.