I'm looking for a system that would support a campaign in the world of Hunter × Hunter. In this world there are people who can harness a body's natural aura (Nen) for a variety of supernatural powers. Many of these people become Hunters. They work as sort of global bounty hunters, doing everything from hunting fantastic beasts to exploring ancient ruins.
The system I'm looking for should have the following features:
- A wide range of possible character abilities that are powered by the same stamina/aura pool (Nen)
- Ideally, there should be a way to design custom powers in addition to any powers included in the game.
- These abilities should be mechanically different enough from each other that defending from a superpowered punch would probably not use the same skill/action as dealing with a lightning strike.
- A fighting system where guessing your opponent's next move is important. This could involve both combatants putting in their move at the same time.
- Power should scale from "Above-average Human" on the low end to "Able to assault a fortress solo" on the high end.
- It would be preferable if the system included a good number of strange animals that could be used as enemies.
- In the show, the supernatural abilities are split into several categories or aura types; an individual could only specialize in a single aura type. An in-game way to distinguish between different aura types would be nice, but not necessary.
As you can probably tell from my bullet points, I'm mostly after a combat system that feels similar to the show. To summarize, I'm looking for strategic, superpowered, martial arts combat; where outthinking your opponent can allow you to beat a stronger enemy.