I recently had a Player Character of mine ask if he can play as a "Giant" if he dies. After asking specifically what he wanted this was his wish list:
- Able to carry "more"
- Able to reach "farther" (He's okay with just taking a glaive, so not an issue.)
- Able to move "farther"
The Giants - Cloud, Fire, Frost, etc. - all seem way too powerful to be a race as well as have a class. Therefore, I set out to homebrew a race, and have laid out the mechanics of one where I predominately used the Goliath and Dwarf races as a base. Is this race mechanically balanced when compared to the other available player character races?
Fir Bolg characters possess the following racial traits:
- Ability Score Increase. Your Constitution score increases by 2, and your Strength score increases by 2.
- Age. Fir Bolgs have lifespans easily twice that of humans. They enter adulthood in their late twenties and usually live less than three centuries.
- Alignment. Fir Bolg society, with its emphasis of honor above all, has a strong lawful bent. The Fir Bolg sense of familial duty and strong convictions of integrity push them toward good.
- Size. Fir Bolgs are between 8 and 10 feet tall and weigh between 340 and 400 pounds. Your size is Large.
- Powerful Build. You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push, drag, or lift.
- Overt Presence. Your enormous size grants proficiency in the intimidation skill.
- Natural Athlete. You have proficiency in the Athletics skill.
- Speed. Your walking speed is 40ft.
- Languages. You can speak read and write in both Common and Giant.