When the spell limited wish is used to duplicate a spell, is that effect the actual spell or, instead, is that effect limited wish reproducing the spell's effect?
The 7th-level Sor/Wiz spell limited wish [univ] (PH 248)
lets you create nearly any type of effect. For example, a limited wish can do any of the following things.
- Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 6th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
- Duplicate any other spell of 5th level or lower, provided the spell is not of a school prohibited to you.
- Duplicate any sorcerer/wizard spell of 5th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
- Duplicate any other spell of 4th level or lower, even if it’s of a prohibited school.
...A duplicated spell allows saving throws and spell resistance as normal (but the save DC is for a 7th-level spell). When a limited wish duplicates a spell that has an XP cost, you must pay that cost or 300 XP, whichever is more. When a limited wish spell duplicates a spell with a material component that costs more than 1,000 gp, you must provide that component.
I know this seems like it would never matter, so here are some places where it does. (An answer may need to address the following sub-questions individually depending on how the answer tackles the main question.)
- Can limited wish be used to duplicate the effect of the 4th-level Drd spell reincarnate [trans] (PH 270) so as to be the companion spell of the 6th-level Sor/Wiz spell contingency [evoc] (PH 213)? That is, the spell reincarnate can normally be a level 12 caster's contingency's companion spell, but, as the companion spell's limited to a 6th-level or lower spell, a 7th-level limited wish duplicating the spell reincarnate may not be available as a contingency's companion spell. Note: Related to this question.
- Can limited wish be used to duplicate the effect of the 3rd-level Sor/Wiz spell tongues [div] (PH 294) so that such an effect can be placed in a minor ring of spell storing? That is, the typical Sor/Wiz version of the spell tongues fits in a minor ring of spell storing, but a 7th-level limited wish duplicating the spell tongues may not.
- Can limited wish be used to duplicate the effect of the 4th-level Clr spell imbue with spell ability [evoc] (PH 243) so as to meet the prerequisites of creating a minor ring of spell storing? The spell imbue with spell ability is a prerequisite for the creation of a ring of spell storing, but a limited wish duplicating the spell imbue with spell ability may not be a prerequisite for that item's creation.
(Note that even if 3 is possible, the caster should probably find a friendly cleric rather than (depending on the reading) spending 300 XP per day of crafting on limited wishes.)