What's the name of this thing? Inside part looks like a cheat sheet, but I have seen images with different content inside these "walls".

That's the thing
Photo by Sargoth is licensed under CC BY-SA 3.0 Unported (model rights reserved) / Red arrow added to original


That would be the Dungeon Master's Screen. Sometimes referred to as a DM Shield, or Game Master's Screen (especially in non-D&D games), they are designed to give the Dungeon Master quick access to frequently referenced rules, and to obscure dice rolls the DM doesn't want to players to see.

They are usually filled cheat sheets to status conditions, more obscure but frequently referenced rules such as how much light a candle generates, or how protected a target is with cover, etc. They also sometimes come equipped with tools for quick generator of names, items, or even encounters!

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ They come in all shapes and sizes, different numbers of folds, portrait or landscape. Homemade ones often use some sort of slip sleeve to make changing the pictures on the outside or sheets on the inside more easy, and can easily be put together from two or more sheets of cardboard (with optional slip sleeves) and some tape... \$\endgroup\$ – Rycochet Oct 8 '15 at 15:53
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Is there any evidence that the term might predate the publication of the Advanced D&D product called just "Dungeon Master's Screen" (in the Wikipedia link)? I'm wondering whether TSR popularized an existing term or coined a new one. (I started gaming around the time of 1E, and never heard it called anything but "the DM screen," even at non-D&D tables, FWIW.) \$\endgroup\$ – dodgethesteamroller Oct 8 '15 at 17:07
  • \$\begingroup\$ @dodgethesteamroller - That sounds like a good followup question to ask. \$\endgroup\$ – Bobson Oct 8 '15 at 20:05
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ @Bobson And it was made so.. :) \$\endgroup\$ – dodgethesteamroller Oct 8 '15 at 20:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.