My level 6 magus has just been magically transformed, his mouth and tongue becoming weird. This causes a 15% arcane spell failure chance, and, when combined with the 10% from my armor, is a dangerously high 25%. (The kensai archetype removes the standard magus's ability to cast in armor without penalty.)

One of my cantrips is ghost sound, which allows me to create the sound of people talking and stuff. Could I use a successfully cast ghost sound spell to cast other spells with vocal components to avoid the 15% arcane spell failure for having Cthulhu-mouth?


1 Answer 1


The spell ghost sound is of no help here

The description of verbal components says

A verbal component is a spoken incantation. To provide a verbal component, you must be able to speak in a strong voice. A silence spell or a gag spoils the incantation (and thus the spell). a spellcaster who has been deafened has a 20% chance of spoiling any spell with a verbal component that he tries to cast.

While the spell ghost sound can create an audible illusion of a creature casting a spell, this illusion is no substitute for you speaking in a strong voice.

I urge you to find soon someone capable of reversing this transformation your character's undergone unless there's an especially desirable upshot to it. Or, if the transformation's permanent, consider the feat Silent Spell and, if you insist on armor, Still Spell, too.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Its a one (maybe two) level game. We might be able to under the curse(s) affecting the party but we currently do not know. All we know is that when we use detect magic we go blind until we stop using it. The curse keeps worsening as well. I didnt think the spell would help but it was worth a shot. \$\endgroup\$
    – Fering
    Jan 23, 2016 at 23:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ I vaguely remember there being a clause in ghost sound that specified it couldn't produce intelligible speech. I'm surprised you didn't quote that here... Or was that only in 3.5rd edition? \$\endgroup\$
    – GMJoe
    Jan 24, 2016 at 23:30
  • \$\begingroup\$ @GMJoe Both are pretty clear about being able to create "talking, singing, [and] shouting [that can] be virtually any type of sound within the volume limit." Although I think audible glamer might've been more limited in 2E and earlier. \$\endgroup\$ Jan 24, 2016 at 23:33

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .