What is the correct term for this die? It is a standard die in any 7 dice set.

enter image description here

It has multiples of ten from 10 to 00 written on it (10, 20, 30, 40, 50, 60, 70, 80, 90, (1)00).

I seem to think that it is called a 'percentile die', is this correct?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Just a quick reminder that comments aren't for chatting or mini-answers. Thanks everyone! \$\endgroup\$ – SevenSidedDie Feb 15 '16 at 21:06

The two ten-sided dice used together to generate a number in the range 1-100 (or 0-99) are percentile dice (plural). The same term is applies to a pair of twenty-sided dice, each marked 0-9 twice, used for the same purpose.

Back in the Before Time, dice sets didn't include a die marked with double-digits; you would just roll different-colored dice, having declared one of them the "tens". I think that sometimes the specific die you are asking about is called the tens die; Chessex calls it a "Tens 10" on their website.

  • \$\begingroup\$ The "Before Time"... lol, nice. Very well put. Hearkening from said time, that's exactly how our old ways now seem, like relics. I vaguely remember a die with 100 sides: it was the size of a squash ball and would roll forever before landing on a side, which were so small that any slight nudge would cause it to roll another number. \$\endgroup\$ – John Feb 15 '16 at 20:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ @John en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zocchihedron \$\endgroup\$ – fectin Feb 16 '16 at 3:28

The one with the multiples of 10 on it is often referred to as a "decader" die, at least on crafting sites like etsy and shapeways.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Decader is the term I've always used, too. \$\endgroup\$ – Dewi Morgan Feb 15 '16 at 19:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Dewi May I ask where abouts that term is used, geographically? \$\endgroup\$ – Yakk Feb 16 '16 at 15:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't think it seems geographically limited. I'm not 100% sure, since I've not been paying much attention when it's used, but I think I've heard it used both in the UK and in Austin, TX, including by a Canadian. So, more likely it's related to age/social group? I'm in my 40s and I'm one of the youngest in my roleplaying group: so it may be a greybeard term? But weighing against that is that I can find no evidence of its use on the net before 2009. \$\endgroup\$ – Dewi Morgan Feb 16 '16 at 17:31
  • \$\begingroup\$ Given I can't find a reference for this pre-shapeways, I'm wondering if this is just a shapeways coinage which has worked its way into the collective consciousness to the point where some of us can't remember a time without it? I coulda sworn we called them this 20 years ago... but now I'm unsure. \$\endgroup\$ – Dewi Morgan Feb 16 '16 at 17:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'll continue to call is a "tens" die, but +1 for teaching me a new nerdy term. \$\endgroup\$ – Tim Grant Mar 5 '16 at 17:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.