Starting my first D&D 5e game soon. I'm planning on making a dual-wielding Javelin/Spear character who darts around throwing his weapons kinda like Kalista from League of Legends. What Feats or class do I need to make such a character to be effective in combat? To be more specific, I want him to be dealing alot of damage while staying out of melee range.
I expect you certainly can, and I have seen people do it in the past. Here is a list of things you should be aware of.
- Your weapon is effectively a melee weapon, but since spears/javelins have the thrown weapon property, they can also be thrown. There is no issue throwing your spears as a regular character.
- Required feature: Two-Weapon Fighting fighting style. Gives you some nice damage bonuses. This limits you to a class with this feature (e.g. Fighter/Ranger).
- Required feat: Dual Wielder (PHB, p. 165). This feat allows you to actually use your spears/javelin for two-weapon fighting. It also gives you an AC bonus, and the ability to draw/stow two weapons at once instead of one (useful I imagine when you are throwing your weapon and need to draw another).
- Suggested feat: Mobile (PHB, p. 168). You are going to spend a lot of time moving out of people's range and giving them attacks of opportunity against you. I recommend this because all you have to do is make a melee attack and then retreat. It has some other nice bonuses as well.
- Suggested Race: Variant Human (if you're allowed to use it), since it gives you a feat. Recommend getting Dual Wielder or Mobile.
I'll update as more ideas surface for this character. I expect there may also be some discussion as to my choices.
Also, you should take a moment to take a look at this for more ideas: Monk Proficiency with Spears/Javelins