My question is fairly straightforward: What is the combination of feats/race/class/etc that gives the most damage per round at level 1? I'd also be interested to see the maximum possible damage, but this is not the criterion for judgment--just a bonus.
I'm looking to create a level 1 character who is only concerned by doing as much damage as possible at level 1. I should note that there is no consideration for any level past 1 (albeit I am interested in your speculations about level progression). I'm also interested in the requirements for such a character (e.g. the minimum ability scores needed, DM approval, etc).
Here are the stipulations/settings that need to be known:
- All Primary Source Books are available. Basically if it is RAW it is good.
- No home-brewed rules. Starting amount of gold as per the default amount.
- No exceptional magic items are available (only the common ones available anywhere).
- All variants described in the rules are available (e.g. the variant human class).
- Assume no situation modifications (e.g. terrain, advantage, etc).
- Only assume modifications if they are *almost always available. This means we are only interested in DPR (Damage per round).
- Assume no outside buffs from party members or other sources.
- Any temporary buffs can be used as long as they last for the entire combat (or close to it). Rage, for instance, would count.
My research tells me that a Barbarian is likely the best choice for this offhand, I am wondering if anyone can come up with a better idea.