Giants, as listed in the MM, are known to wield large weapons. For most of them, this large weapon is the source of their massive damage in melee.
I was wondering if there was a way to disarm the giants of these weapons, and then prevent them from easily picking it up?
DMG pg. 278
Step 11. Damage.
[..] Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan. For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately sized greataxe deals 3d12 slashing damage (plus its Strength bonus), instead of the normal 1d12.
A creature has disadvantage on attack rolls with a weapon that is sized for a larger attacker. You can rule that a weapon sized for an attacker two or more sizes larger is too big for the creature to use at all.
There are several ways to disarm someone. These moves seem to work against any sized creature, so if successful, even a Giant can be successfully be disarmed. The weapon falls to their feet and, if it were a normal-sized creature, you could pick their weapon up, throw it away, or wield it yourself.
The problem is, unlike a normal-sized creature, when that weapon falls at a Giant's feet:
- You might not be able to pick that weapon up yourself
- If you can pick it up, you may not be able to wield it, instead finding yourself holding a very heavy weapon you can't wield
- If you can somehow pick it up and throw it away instead, there is no threat to the giant if they simply step over you and pick up their weapon
Assuming you can create a character with enough skills, items, and support to manage a disarm/steal combination, how would you be able to do this?
- Your skills, items, etc, can't go much above the CR of the monster (eg, no casting wish on a CR 9 Fire Giant).
- Assume this is a 1 vs 1 fight, rather than a team encounter. A team would have more than one way of fighting a Giant, not just disarming it -- which might not even be necessary, they may be powerful enough to simply kill it.