I'm running a campaign in the Eberron campaign setting using the Pathfinder rule system.
I'm confused about the mechanisms for crafting wondrous magic items that activate upon certain conditions being met.
I'm thinking of implementing the "if-recipes" of IFTTT for magical item creation: "If ____, then do _____."
Normally, Pathfinder allows for these magical item activation methods (source):
- Spell completion
- Spell trigger
- Command word
- Use activated
Unless I'm misunderstanding the breadth of the above activation methods, there are conceptually lots of other ways to activate spells. Magical traps, for example, have several other trigger mechanisms.
Here are some example triggering/activation mechanisms I am specifically thinking of:
- When [specified target]'s HP is below a certain amount, do ____.
- When the item is a given distance away from [specified target], do ____.
- On/off switch (as if to build a magical flashlight): when "on", do ____.
- If the item comes in contact with [specified target], do ____.
- If a [given alignment] creature comes within [distance], do ____.
- If there is [certain level of] ambient lighting, do ____.
- If the item is pointing at [specified target], do ____.
- If [specified target] becomes [specified status], do ____.
These kinds of triggers could potentially be used for the following example devices:
- Automatic potion-imbibing devices when its owner is low on HP.
- Self-destruct device if a person forgets some important item somewhere
- Magical flashlight
- Booby-trapped bags of holding
- Device that casts True Sight on owner when near evil-aligned characters, or perhaps Hide Alignment near good-aligned characters
- A magical staff that casts Light at night and upon entering a dark room
- A crossbow that automatically fires a bolt when [given target] is in its cross hairs
- Necklace that casts a buff when its owner falls prone
(Never mind the fact that some of these triggers/conditions could be used to break the game!)
Are there any general rules/guides/etc. for crafting such wondrous magical items? In particular, I'm looking for some mechanics for doing it, some way of estimating the Craft DC, and finally how to assign the price associated with it?
(If not, are there any rules of thumb or best-practices?)
Obviously, the mechanics, pricing and DC would vary widely with particular items....