My PCs are on board a ship/craft in a game of Rogue Trader I am GMing, and soon will need to defend an area ("You shall not pass" style) against other ship/craft.
I have recently read the The Angry DM series about combat.
But so far I don't find air/sea/space battles fun, and don't see how to apply that advice in my case...
The turn decisions are quite low, and player actions every turn boil down to:
- Pilot/sail the ship/craft
- Support the ship/craft
It feels repetitive and more like throwing dice than really fighting after some turn.
How can I improve it to make it fun and compeling?
The other parameters are:
- It is only battleship against battleship, spacecraft against spacecraft,...
- The map is usually quite empty with sometimes area of low visibility (obstacles and cover not often)
- PCs are leading officers on the same ship/craft
- I am not yet good about describing actions/interaction between crafts/ships, especially after 10 turns
- English is not my native language; please excuse typing errors
(Answers are expected to be primarily based on real experience, what you did in this situation and how it worked for you - demonstrate how your recommended technique or course of action is effective for the problem.)