I was nearly sure it was Dicing with Dragons. However, I bought that book and I can tell it's not the same one. It doesn't break down D&D for the layman like I remember this one doing.
Here are some miscellaneous things I remember about the book:
- I remember the book from when I was a teen, in the late 80s.
- It was published before 1990.
- It talked about getting into RPGs, not specifically Fantasy.
- It talked about multiple RPGs (I think so).
- It must have been talking about D&D, but it wasn't specific to D&D, since I remember it used Comic Book characters as references.
- I feel like it was trade paperback-like.
I don't remember much more than what is listed above.
The part that I recall most vividly every time I think about the book, is that somewhere in the book it mentions D&D style ability scores and it describes Strength compared to Superman and Constitution related to the Hulk, or something similar.
I would love to find this again. Thanks for any help.