For questions about the design of RPGs themselves. Not for questions about homebrewing subsystems, rules, or house rules questions. More specific tags may apply—click “info” or “learn more…” for a guide.
Questions related to designing games, the theories of RPG design, the use of dice in designs, or subjects tangential to that, including "hacks" or derivative works, should be tagged with the design tag.
This does not include house rules or simple changes to an existing system, nor homebrewing new subsystems for an existing game system. This tag is for more extensive creation and theories.
With or without using the game-design tag:
- Use statistics and/or dice for questions about designing dice systems.
- Use intellectual-property for questions about copyright, patent, and other intellectual property issues.
Instead of using the game-design tag:
- For questions about house rules and small rule changes, use house-rules.
- For questions about creating new subsystems or material for an existing RPG, use homebrew.
- For questions about publishing RPGs, use publishing.
- For questions about a specific game's rules or rulings, use just the appropriate game-system tag.