The Dark Eye is a Pen-and-Paper RPG originally created in Germany under the name "Das Schwarze Auge" (DSA).
The Dark Eye is a German Pen and Paper RPG, primarily set on the continent of "Aventurien". It is currently published by Ulisses Spiele in the fifth edition.
- It was invented by Ulrich Kiesow and the FanPro GmbH
- First publisher was Schmidt Spiele in 1984.
- Second edition came 1988.
- 1992 followed the third edition.
- Publishing went on under FanPro in 1997 when Schmidt Spiele went bancrupt.
- 2001 the fourth edition with an update (4.1) in 2006.
- 2007, The IP changed from FanPro GmbH to Ulisses Spiele.
- Fifth edition was published 2015 by Ulisses Spiele GmbH.
The game uses d20s with a roll-under mechanic, so that 1 is typically the best result. Notably, skill and spell checks involve three such rolls, skill ranks are used to compensate failure.