We notice that a variety of online articles appear to have received permission from Wizards of the Coast for use of their images from the Monster Manual (such as this Nerdarchy article which uses a Bone Naga image and cites it “courtesy of Wizards of the Coast.”).

We would like to do the same for an article or a published adventure, but don't know who to contact at Wizards.

Often there are one or two people in companies who are responsible for these types of permission or a particular department which one contacts.

How does one receive permission from WotC for use of an image from the Monster Manual for an online article or published adventure?

We are looking for an answer that worked in actual “gameplay” (i.e. actually tried and successful in real life) rather than the general approaches used to gain permission.

  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Are you asking specifically about MM artwork (or other artwork in published books you have in mind), or just "artwork generally from WotC"? I ask because I'm aware of a couple of libraries they've released for purposed use, but that may not be what you're looking for. \$\endgroup\$
    – nitsua60
    Nov 19, 2018 at 13:51
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Are you trying to do something beyond what's allowed by the Fan Content Policy? \$\endgroup\$
    – Mark Wells
    Nov 19, 2018 at 19:19

1 Answer 1


Wizards of the Coast's D&D support site has a Submit a Request page that explicitly includes Permission Request. When you pull up Permission Request, it also includes a link to the Fan Content Policy.


You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .