I'm about to run a game of Golden Sky Stories but the rules and examples have left me confused about how Impression Checks work.
- When you make an Impression Check, the rules seem to say that if the other person doesn't want to make one back then no relationship is formed (thus no Feelings are spent for the check and nothing is written down on character sheets). Is that correct?
- When you make an Impression Check, what direction are you setting the strength of (the relationship to you or the relationship from you)? The rules seem to say it's to you (and their Check sets the strength from you)
- Who chooses the contents of a connection? Does the Narrator choose for NPCs & players choose for how their character feels?
- Can you have a connection of strength 0, if you don't spend enough Feelings to get up to 4 in the Impression Check? I assume so, since you can spend 5 dreams to raise a connection to 1.
If my understanding is correct then the resulting relationship between Player and NPC would be:
- Player to NPC connection: strength chosen by NPC based on Check result (0-2), content chosen by Player
- Player from NPC connection: strength chosen by Player based on Check result (0-2), content chosen by Narrator
- OR no connection if one or both sides don't want to do an Impression Check