In Unearthed Arcana: Feats for Skills, the Diplomat feat includes the following benefit:
- If you spend 1 minute talking to someone who can understand what you say, you can make a Charisma (Persuasion) check contested by the creature’s Wisdom (Insight) check. If you or your companions are fighting the creature, your check automatically fails. If your check succeeds, the target is charmed by you as long as it remains within 60 feet of you and for 1 minute thereafter.
I interpret the part I've emphasised to mean the target is charmed for as long as you are within 60 feet, then once you move further away, it remains charmed for a further minute before it "wears off". Hence, I believe the target should be charmed under the following scenarios (assuming your persuasion check succeeds in all scenarios):
- You charm the target, walk away, then in one minute's time, the target is no longer charmed;
- You charm the target, stand with it for 5 minutes, then walk away, and a minute later, the target is no longer charmed (so the target was charmed a total of 6 minutes);
- You charm the target, it follows you, it is indefinitely charmed so long as you remain within 60 feet of the target;
But what happens in this scenario?
- You charm the target, stand with it for 5 minutes, walk away (further than 60 feet away, just to clarify), then 30 seconds later, you walk back over to the target, hence you are within 60 feet of the target again. The target is still charmed at this point, since a whole minute has not yet elapsed since you walked away.
Since this is still within a minute after you originally walked further than 60 feet away from the target, does this effectively "reset" the minute countdown? Does the target remain indefinitely charmed from this point onwards up until you walk away again? Or, does the target stop being charmed after that minute has elapsed, regardless of where you are in relation to it since you've already been further than 60 feet away from it by this point?
I know this is Unearthed Arcana and therefore the wording is not always on par with their official material, but I was planning on letting a player have this feat and I want to fully understand how this part of the feat works, especially since this player's character likes making friends and will no doubt use this effect to charm potential NPC followers.